Monday, September 17, 2012

To The Greatest Woman!



Something that has been on my mind since the beginning of this year are the people who have changed my life for the better. And I'd like to dedicate a little time to them, starting with my Grandma, Pat Miller.

(first woman to the left)


I think I've always looked at her like my hero. She had courage in life. She was a fighter and a lover. But I think the greatest evidence of what a wonderful woman she was is through the two girls she raised. Almost entirely on her own. They are also one of the most incredible women I have ever had the  honor of knowing. I have seen them have a lot of struggle in their lives and like my Grandma Miller, they came out on top. I hope that they can see that too. And I hope they know I think that about them.

Just to give you a little background about my grandma. She grew up as a military brat traveling everywhere with her parents. But she fell in love with California (well, who wouldn't)? Her father-from what I've been told-was well, so controlling he could probably be described as a lunatic. I like to give this story to prove my point. My great grandmother (also a wonderful woman) was never allowed to wear pants, and had to serve him his scotch everyday at-I think it was 5pm-on a silver saucer. This was one of his many many demands. He was a serious alcoholic. Once he was so drunk that when he was being transferred back to the US he passed out on the boarding dock missing the boat. Then blamed it on his family. See what I mean?

At the age of 18 my grandma graduated high school and signed up for the Navy as a secretary. Really so she could travel and have some adventure! And did she ever ;)



This is where my grandma met a man name George Cunningham and married his soon after. And to be honest, I don't know much about him. It was always a hard thing for my Grandma to discuss and I understand. What I do know, is that he left them when my mom was 7 yrs. old. He was a really bad bank robber/con artist and was always in jail. To avoid getting in jail again he fled. He tried to persuade my grandma to take the kids and come with him.

I imagine how that moment must have been for my grandma. Scared to lose her family and more afraid of what that kind of life that would be for her children. Knowing that either way, she was on her own. She declined and stayed with two small children and no husband. I realize that from this moment on there has been a lot of pain, and hardship. I don't discredit that.  However, I would like to add that we learn how to obtain a more lasting happiness from our suffering. I truly believe that my grandma and her children learned to obtain happiness from those dark times. My grandma, and both my mom and her sister learned that value and happiness is in their own families. My Grandma was a hard worker and she received every benefit from that possible. I really believe that.



If there are a few lessons I could take from my Grandma it would be-it's worth waiting for the right man :) and don't be afraid of the changes life throws your way. Live a life filled with courage. Courage to take on the challenges of life, sacrifices you need to make for family, and changes you need to make for yourself. I really think success is given to those that have the courage to take it. Thank you Grandma for showing me how. I will love you always

Sept. 28, 1934-May 12, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment